There are a lot of mixed opinions on best cooking oil some experts say coconut, some say avocado oil, some palm oil. The reality is the canola and sunflower oil are the most stable even at high temperatures, so they seems ideal for frying, maybe if we used extra virgin sunflower or rapeseed it would be ok. Avocado oil seems like a best bet as there is no cholesterol in avocado oil, so oxidized cholesterols are not an issue. What about oilve oil which is also cholesterol free, but there are some mixed opinions on this one?

Also based on article bellow saturated fats are a no-no when it comes to cooking.

Generally I avoid vegetable oils like rapeseed oil a plaque, due to 5ar raising, but it seems they have some positive effect on human body:

http://suppversity.blogspot.si/2014/12/the-quest-for-optimal-cooking-oil-heat.html

Some interesting quotes from this article:

"Using high MUFA rapeseed oil not just for frying, but as a major fat source in the diet leads to significant improvements in blood lipids in hypercholesterolaemic subjects (Gillingham. 2011)"

" You cannot seriously be suggesting sunflower and canola oil! Yes, I can! I know that both have quite a bad reputation, but if you look at the scientific evidence that's mostly unwarranted.
If you look objectively at the existing evidence, it is debatable whether this may not be superior to using olive oil or other high MUFA oils, but certainly superior to using other frying oils or animal fats. Plus: It works it cholesterol lowering and glucose metabolism improving magic not just in patients with high cholesterol levels (see figure on the left), but also in healthy young women (Uusitupa. 1994; Jones. 2014). "

" In a similar vein, canola aka eruchic acid free rapeseed oil, which is also available as high oleic acid cooking oil, has been shown to reduce TC concentrations in healthy or hypercholesterolemic individuals, compared with high-SFA or typical Western diets. Studies also indicate that it "may potentially promote immune and cardiovascular health through its antithrombic and antioxidative effect" (Lin. 2013). For the other benefits listed in the overview in Figure 4, the results are sometimes less equivocal. Overall, Lin et al. whose review of literature was obviously funded by the canola industry still claims that "canola oil can now be regarded as one of the healthiest edible vegetable oils in terms of its biological functions and its ability to aid in reducing disease-related risk factors and improving health" (Lin. 2013) - a claim that sounds a bit hyperbolic, in spite of the fact that their review of the literature supports many of the claims. "

http://suppversity.blogspot.si/2015/07/olive-oil-health-longevity-food-plus.html

"If you look closely at the time and heat it takes for the bad byproducts of cooking and frying to arise, it is evident that it's not you, but rather the food industry and restaurants with their high temperatures and cooking times that are to blame for the problems. They are the ones using the "discontinuous frying process" of which Dobarganes and Márquez-Ruiz say that only they allow frying oils to reach "degradation levels much higher than that established for human consumption" (Dobarganes. 2015)."

" If you are frying your foods at home, use oils with high amounts of unsaturated fast like virgin olive oil (or alternatives for longer frying durations and higher temperatures) and don't start frying snickers or ice-cream (as seen on TV ;-), frying your foods may actually be way less hazardous than many of you probably thought. "

http://suppversity.blogspot.si/2014/02/true-or-false-butter-ghee-lard-tallow.html

" Unfortunately, there are other problems with ghee;  problems that are related to the heat-induced oxidation of cholesterol and the presence of large amounts of cholesterol oxides in commercially available "clarified butter" even before you even start heating it as it was reported by Kubow et al. in 1993 (12.3% w/w of total sterols)."

"Needless to say that neither tallow nor lard or any other of these animal fats contain enough antioxidants to protect their cholesterol from being oxidized (Ryan. 1981; Park. 1986a,b).

Interestingly, Park et al. have been able to show that this process starts at temperatures as low as 135°C (the recommended frying temperature for most products is 160°C+) and does not increase with higher temperatures. For pure cholesterol Osada et al. determined 120°C as the lowest temperature that induces oxidative changes (Osada. 1993).
In 1986, a group of researchers who conducted research for the French government found that 78% of the total cholesterol that was lost (23% of total cholesterol) from beef tallow during deep frying was recovered in form of the four best known forms of oxidized cholesterol, i.e. Triol-, 7a-, 7/3-, and 7-Oxo-cholesterol (Bascoul. 1986). "

Very interesting subject!

Many oils, both of animal and non-animal origin, contains a lots of interesting properties and I think that making your own "fresh" veg. oil without particular degeneration from heat, light and oxygen can generate tremendous health benefits if consumed "undenatured", now we're not talking about oils in that state..

First of all, without a doubt trans fats are not something you want the inside of your body to cuddle with, so selecting oils with lowest possible amounts of trans fats is probably wise. Secondly, there are different scientific methods to decide rancidity and degradation - I'm afraid I'm not qualified enough to fully judge in this field, but maybe Brian can add his cents. Having that said, we should perhaps not only focus on what heat can do to the oil but also how the oils are being manufactured and what kind of industrial processes the raw materials needs to go through in order to end up in the supermarket.

Connecting back to what I initially pointed out, heat, light and oxygen are the enemies here...so by using newly produced oil you are really off for a good start, but the $10 000 question remains: WHICH IS THE BEST ONE?

I will post my winner after I've done some additional online research :P

The part left out of the author's aim on the oils is prostaglandins. 

Of course we want to take in many antioxidants, and if you are interesting in your health it is imperative. However, given the choice I'll opt for animal based oils.

All that said, maybe it doesn't matter in the big picture, because the vast majority of restaurants, and most of the oils found on market shelves is already destroyed. 

For me is absolutely necessary to take omega-3 fatty acid supplements (in my case krill oil) to offset the ridiculously high onslaught of omega-6 oils. Also, omega-6 oils themselves are good when there is zero heat processing. Simply by buying commercial variety at the store, they are already destroyed (by method of their processing). 

A quick word on olive oil. It's one of the few unrefined oils out there (if extra virgin), although it should never be heated, because it will be damaged (chlorophyll, etc). In that context, the author I believe is correct.

Now back to prostaglandins. I will not consume an oil knowingly, especially canola oil mainly because of its prostaglandin effects. There are other omega-3, 6 oils that have positive prostaglanin effects (though it is necessary to consume them completely unprocessed with as little heat, light or oxygen as possible).

What if vegetable oil like rapeseed oil is unprocessed extra-virgin (cold-pressed) without hexane, does it also have high androgen activity and other bad effects on human health? I get that the storage is a big issue, but in that case all the oils are problematic even olive oil etc.

I was at the supermarket today and I am seeing a lot of processed products like energy bars, chips and wafers that changed their formula and now contain palm oil. Palm oil is undoubtedly more healthy than other classic vegetable oils, but I doubt the manufacturers use quality unrefined palm oil. So basically the palm oil is also produced in "traditional chemical way" or for refining palm oil use more "natural" approach? Also palm oil seems to be even more prone to oxidation if you expose it to high temperatures, so basically is just a matter of picking your poison.

rapeseed oil (aka canola oil) is toxic, and is highly expressive of 5-AR, so would absolutely avoid it.

Palm oil is highly preferred (even if it is processed).

However, avoid any oil that is partially hydrogenated 

1 person likes this

You said some time ago that unrefined Sunflower oil is anti-dht and pro-health? My main concern is storage of these unrefined PUFA oils, they can turn toxic with just little amount of oxygen or light...